Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Vancouver, Canada via Deception Pass

We took the Spanish on a surprise trip to Vancouver for a couple days. Since we were so close- couple hours- and it meant another country and another stamp in the Spanish passport and had been a dream of Pepo's to go to Canada- we made it happen. They assumed we were going back to my dad's house but we told them that we were going to go over Deception Pass so they could see the bridge instead of the ferry. We left bright and early, packed some sandwiches and made our way to the bridge. We parked on one end, walked across (that is freaky), took pictures and walked back. I've never walked across the bridge and only had stopped once before so it was new for me too, which was nice.
One side of the bridge
walking across.....scary
Made it to the other side
The newly American weds
Many pictures later, we set out again and headed toward Vancouver. Once we made it back onto I-5, Pablo gave Pepo a map because he always likes to follow along and at this point no one was catching on. But after a couple minutes Pepo realized that the mountains were on the wrong side if we were going south and he asked where were we going? Pablo and I said nothing and Pepo says, "we're going to Canada". I don't know what they were at first, shocked? surprised? unhappy? but we said nothing so they knew it was true and it was kind of quiet. Then it finally sunk in- new country, new stamp!
We stopped before the boarder at a rest stop to eat lunch and take a potty break. After a wrong turn, we made it to the boarder and waited about 10 minutes. Luckily for us the boarder guard was very friendly. He spoke spanish and told the other guard who had come to take his place that he needs to practice his spanish and the new guard said he only new bad words! I was nervous about the boarder but I'm glad it was easy.
We made it!
Now the hard part came for me, driving into Vancouver, which is very bizarre because you take side roads and Canadians drive like psychos. I'm glad we had Veronica our gps even though she didn't work very good, she helped.
First stop was downtown, Yaletown, because I had wanted to take the small, 8-passenger, ferry boats that go around the water downtown. I had planned to take it from Yaletown to Granville Island so it would be a nice little tour of the downtown buildings and water. The sun was out when we arrived so it was a nice little ride. Below were the views of pretty downtown Vancouver.
view from our little, bitty ferry
On the ferry



View of our ferry as one passes by
On Granville Island
I really wanted to go to Granville Island because I really like their beer. I always have it when I go to Whistler and because you can't get it in the US, it is always a special treat. We walked through the market and headed straight for the brewery. Pablo and I ordered a pint and because the others didn't really know what they tasted like they ordered the tasting. We ordered some chips and salsa and were ready for round two when our waitress informed us that because of their license they are only allowed to sell each person 12 oz or one pint. I was like what?? You are a brewery and you only can serve a pint? I thought that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard and the first I've ever heard of that. So we left.
First stop: Brewery
Doing the beer tasting
After a beer we walked around the rest of the island, took some pictures and enjoyed the atmosphere. Pablo bought some pizza slices for us to share and then we took the little ferry back to Yaletown and our car. We were all pretty tired after the long day so went to find our hotel, bought some Subway and relaxed the rest of the evening.
views from Granville Island
Our 3rd honeymoon.....Vancouver!

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving reading about all your adventures. Its like a little treat everyday when I get to read a new one. hehe. This one makes me want to go back to Vancouver...I haven't been there since I was little. I'm a little disappointed to hear that you can only have 1 beer at the brewery though! Not cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corn! Guess I have to keep it up! :) So much more!

    ReplyDelete