I finally had my appointment to turn in my NIE paperwork in Oviedo. We had to wait 3 months for it! A NIE is the Foreigners Identification Number. I need this number to legally stay in the country and it gives me the right to legally work as well. I call it a social security number for my American followers.
We made the appointment in May with the help of one of Pablo's police friends. I think she was bored and just made it for us. She was also the one who told us (the day after we bought our tickets to Seattle) that I couldn't leave the country because it was illegal. But she was wrong since I passed customs in a record 8.7 seconds! ha ha!
Anyway, this lady took us to the office and a man wrote down all the paperwork we needed. This was great, to finally have a very specific list of all we needed. So we gathered all the paperwork, which was surprisingly very easy after all the back and forth we did when doing the wedding paperwork. We were a little shocked.
We needed:
1) copy of all pages of my passport
2) copy of Pablo's ID card
3) Formal copy of our marriage certificate from city hall
4) Fill out the form that they provide us
5) Form that says I'm citizen of Mieres
For the citizen part it was a little funny because we went to the city hall and went to the office and said I want to be a citizen of Mieres. They asked for my passport and then it was done. We got the form and left. That was it! So any of you people out there want to be a citizen of Mieres its no problem. You just come on over and we'll sign you right up! I think I might be able to vote for city positions or maybe go to the city council meetings and bitch or something!
We basically had all the paperwork ready to go after we got married and just waited until the day, 3 months later. The appointment was at 9:25 am and we didn't know what to expect...government agency...you never know. We showed up early, at 9, and there was a line out the door. We are like, why is there a line? We have an appointment. So we get in line and listen to the people to figure it out. Inside the door was a woman at a desk and she looked pissed and they've only been open 5 minutes. She is either telling people they are wrong and to leave or she gives them a number. The number is for one of the 4 people who help the people. When its your turn they call the number, like the DMV. When we finally get to the front we say we have an appointment and the lady is very nice to us, weird because she hated everyone else before us. This could be because: 1) Pablo is cute, 2) we aren't Latino, 3) we are the only people with an appointment.
We wait about 5 minutes and we are called to the desk of the old man. He says nothing except give me your paperwork. I take it all out, very organized and give it to him. He says nothing the whole time and barely looks at the papers. He takes my passport, puts the information in the computer and writes down a number on the form I had to fill out and gives it back to me. He says this is your NIE number and you have to wait 3 months for the card. It will come in the mail. Pablo asked him if I can legally work now since I have the number but no card. He said it depends on the employer. Then we say thanks and leave. We walk out and we're like that is it? That is weird.
Now I have to wait for the card to come in the mail. It won't be the official card since they need a picture of me. We believe it will be an official document with instructions for the next step which is probably go to the Police Station and they will make my card and I'll officially because a legal resident alien! It has a ring to it, doesn't it?!
Friday, September 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment