In the bar-car!
I have my wine. Train life is good!

After Thanksgiving we headed up to Asturias with Pablo's parents for the week. This time we took the train and I was very excited. This was the first time I have taken the train to Asturias and it was great- I love trains! The drive is usually 4 hours and if you go on the major freeway the whole time you have to pay tolls, around 20 euros each way. Tolls, plus gas, plus traffic, plus the fact I can't drive a stick so Pablo drives every time I figure the train is way better. Pablo receives a police discount so his ticket is only 26 euros round trip. Mine is more expensive, 78.53 so if you split our costs it is 50 euros each, which is the cost of the tolls.
After Thanksgiving we headed up to Asturias with Pablo's parents for the week. This time we took the train and I was very excited. This was the first time I have taken the train to Asturias and it was great- I love trains! The drive is usually 4 hours and if you go on the major freeway the whole time you have to pay tolls, around 20 euros each way. Tolls, plus gas, plus traffic, plus the fact I can't drive a stick so Pablo drives every time I figure the train is way better. Pablo receives a police discount so his ticket is only 26 euros round trip. Mine is more expensive, 78.53 so if you split our costs it is 50 euros each, which is the cost of the tolls.
The train from Madrid to Mieres is 4 hours and 30 minutes. The first half of the trip is the 'fast train' and it goes up to speeds of 123 mph. The second half goes through the mountains so it can't maintain the fast speed so it takes longer. They are building the fast train to go all the way to Asturias but it won't be done until 2012. They are building huge tunnels through the mountains, it will be pretty amazing when they are done.
The best part of the train is there are bathrooms! And food, wine, tons of room in your seat (planes eat your heart out!) movies, you can relax, read a book and watch the spanish countryside pass you by. It was a very enjoyable ride on the train and I hope we'll do it again soon. Family we are doing it when you come in May so get excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment