The story of my return to basketball actually started last July 2009 when Pablo and I were at one of our neighborhood bars called Chabolu. We were enjoying our drinks when this guy came over and asked me if I played basketball. I always get this question, so I say, si. He then told me I had to join his basketball team and that he was the coach. We found out that there is a Las Tablas woman's team for people my age and that its a lot of fun. Pablo then explained that I'm only here for three months at a time so it never worked out for me to join but we always kept it in the back of our minds. After talking to him though, I realized it would be a good way to actually make friends in Spain and most importantly girl friends, which I really need.
Before this, I had pretty much given up on basketball. I felt after high school that it was something I had done my whole life and wanted to do other things so I never really played again. I was never interested in playing intramural games and after college I wasn't really interested in playing in park and rec leagues either.
Fast forward 7 years and take a look at my life: I now live in Spain, I have no friends, and its been quite an adjustment and struggle to figure out what I am going to do in this new life.
So now, the thought of playing basketball doesn't sound so bad. I know how to play, its a way to stay in shape (since I'm 30 now and those pounds don't seem to fall off as easily) and being around girls is something that I really miss.
So last Monday we had one of Pablo's friends passing through and we all went to lunch at the Chabolu. And who happens to be at the table next to us? The owner. We've seen him on and off over the last year and he always remembers us, probably because we are really tall. He is one of those, oh you have to do it, give me your number, I'll call you and set it all up. Well Pablo asked him about basketball and said I'm finally living in Spain for good and was interested in playing. Before I knew it I said I'd play, was giving my contact info and he was on the phone arranging things. He explains that the team was the 2010 champions of the league and then I started to get nervous and told him I haven't played in 10 years, I'm not good, (thinking I'm really in this for the beer drinking with girlfriends! not serious competition!) Are these girls really hardcore? They won the league!
Anyway, we finally leave and I go home and there is already an email waiting for me! They have practice on Tuesday and a tournament this weekend, do I want to play? Next thing I know I am saying yes. I can't make practice because I have english class but I'll play in the tournament. I give them some information and its done. I'm signed up, I have to go.
What! I have no shoes and don't even remember the last time I touched a basketball. Oh and running...I stopped that in May. I'm a complete mess, what am I going to do?
So now with fear behind me I go running Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to try and prepare myself. I almost died. What am I doing? What am I doing?
Saturday arrives and our game is at 6 pm. I arrange a ride with the captain since Pablo has to work and can't take me. She and her husband pick me up and they are both really nice and love America (country music played the whole time in the car) so I feel a little more comfortable.
Oh wait, did I mention I live in Spain and I'm playing basketball in Spain? They speak Spanish. Do you learn basketball vocabulary in spanish class? NO! What is travel, shoot, foul, block, screen, defense, offense, in spanish? What are the rules? The key is fatter. There is coach, what is he saying? How do I talk to the girls?
Well, I'm used to being the odd American and now I'm the tall, American with no basketball shoes and lacking spanish basketball vocabulary but I go for it anyway.
I meet all the girls, with two kisses of course, and they are all very nice. They ask me, do you speak spanish? Si. Where are you from? Seattle. Not much else. It's a little awkward because they don't really know how to talk to me- english? spanish? But I learn very quickly that basketball in America or basketball in Spain, the culture is the same. The type of girls are the same, sporty, athletic, been around basketball their whole lives, know how to live in gyms. There isn't any difference in clothing style, its all the same, familiar and very, very comforting, and I realized, I missed this. I don't feel like I'm in Spain anymore (except they all speak spanish) it feels like home. And I'm happy to be back!
The first game was a wake up call- basketball is actually hard. I was huffing and puffing, stiffing up and my skills were rusty to say the least. I can't say I did anything to help the team but it was a start. We won and played again the next day at 9 am. We won again and played in the championship game at 5 pm. By the third game I was in pain. I found muscles I hadn't known in years. I was still out of shape and just wanted to go home and drink a beer! But I finally scored- 3 points, got a couple rebounds and blocked some shots.
The skills are there, they just need to be tuned up. I doubt I'll recreate the "glory days" but hopefully over the next couple months I won't look completely pathetic and will be an asset to the team.
We ended up winning the championship and I'm glad I didn't hinder the team too much. They are all very friendly and hopefully this will be the start of something fun and be a happy little spanish niche where I can fit in.
| My "action" shots |
Lets see how the game has changed in the last 10 years according to Kelly:
Then: I was tall, thin and lifted weights
Now: I am tall, have no muscles, grey hair and cellulite
Then: Never thought about jumping before
Now: Jumping is the hardest thing ever
Then: Didn't have a cell phone, no one really did
Now: Can't leave home without the cell phone
Then: Played with my sister and my parents were my biggest fans
Now: My husband is my biggest fan
Then: It was easy to run, jump, defend and shoot all at the same time and play the entire game
Now: What! I have to run, jump and shoot at the same time and then run and defend someone, I can barely run, basketball is hard. I died doing lay-ups in warm-ups
Then: had to clean my room, do homework, then go to the game
Now: have to clean the house, do the laundry, feed the cat, cook dinner, then go to the game
Then: drove myself to the game
Now: Need a ride because I don't have a spanish drivers license and can't drive a stick
Then: everyone spoke english
Now: everyone speaks spanish
Kelly! It sounds like you had fun! I miss playing basketball! I thik you still look like a pro, so I am sure in a few games you will have regained most of your skills and will be the star of the team! hehe :)
ReplyDelete