Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tiffany Tourism- Madrid

After our 4th of July party we hit the streets for some official Madrid tourism. With free tickets to Madrid Vision- tourist bus for Madrid- we made that our first must-do. We braved the heat and sat on top to see the sights of Madrid. We got off in the museum district so Tiffany could culture me with all the art Madrid has to offer. First stop was the Caixa Forum with its famous grass wall and free exhibits. Next stop was the museum Reina Sofia where there were some very interesting temporary exhibits full of creepy statues and very dated 80's art but I hung in there and was treated to the famous Pablo Picasso, "Guernica". If you ever took a spanish class you know what Guernica is- it represents the town of Guernica in northern Spain traumatized by Hilter who used it as a practice ground to test bombs during World War II. It was way bigger than i thought, which I think is ironic because don't they always seem smaller? Mona Lisa anyone??
After our culture we head back to Caixa to check out their cafeteria for lunch. I was plesently suprised how good the food and ambience was for the price. I would never think to eat lunch in an art museum but I would definitely go back.
Random insert: Apartment building by our house- there is a hole in the middle!

Madrid Vision- aka tourist bus

Caixa Forum


Reina Sofia Museum

Creepy sculptures everywhere

Picasso's Guernica

Lunch at the Caixa Forum

After our fun-filled day of art and culture we headed home to Las Tablas to check out the night life. We took Tiffany to our neighborhood bars for a tapeo. aka: adult beverages and traditional spanish tapas.
We ended the night at our favorite the Chabolu where we met the owner who invited Pablo and I to play on the bars basketball teams. The owners wife plays on a team, the owner is the coach and they saw me as a new recruit and the women's significant others make up the men's team. I am actually considering it as it would be a great way to meet friends, have my own activity and keep in shape. This is the off season right now so who knows when I return but I'm going to look into it. Who knows...they might be bad-ass old women players and I may not be good enough since it has been 10 years since I played. Wow I'm OLD!

Patatas Bravas y Ali-Oli

Chabolu



Walking home--not quite sure

1 comment:

  1. i like pablo's usa jersey from the 4th of july! it's awesome...
    i bet madrid has been buzzing from the ronaldo transfer to real madrid... saw on tv 80k people went to welcome him... crazy!
    anyhow, hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete