Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fun with guns!

I woke up the other night to sounds of a big bang around 3:30 am. I thought it was a bomb or something on the train tracks behind our house. I heard some voices outside and running around so I looked out the window. Across the street in the other apartment building there were 10 or so people walking around the outside of the building and I had no idea what they were doing. Little by little more and more showed up and I realized they were police officers and I swear there were like 40 of them but probably only 25 but it seemed like a ton of people. They were on the corners of the building, in front and on all sides, surrounding it. I woke up Pablo and we both watched from our window as the police started shouting and running back and forth from one side of the building to the other looking like they didn't really know what they were doing. Then they decided to go in the front door and started shouting at the front door to have someone open it. Most the apartments buildings in our neighborhood have managers at the main entrance 24 hours but this one does not so they had trouble getting in. Finally they got in the front door and a second group started scaling the wall on one side of the building and jumping over in the pool/yard area. Then it was quite. After about 10 minutes of watching and waiting and having no idea what was going on we saw the police finally bring out 3 criminals from the front door and throw them into the police cars. Then it was over and the police started leaving. It was like watching a movie except someone erased the the beginning because we still had no idea what the story was.
The next morning we looked it up on the internet and found out the real story. Apparently the 3 guys had entered into the parking garage during the night and were trying to steal things or cars. They had done the same thing the week before. Luckily a neighbor saw them and called the police. The police entered the garage and told them to freeze but they tried to drive away and so the police shot at their car- the gun shots were the sound I woke up to.
The criminals couldn't drive away now so they ran up into the apartment building trying to flee or hide. So the police entered from all sides to try and find them. These buildings only have 2 entrances- front door or garage- or you scale can the fences. So luckily they didn't have many places to hide and were probably pretty easy to capture once they went inside the building. But I'm really glad these crazy people and police with guns weren't in my building. Scary!

Here is the article in spanish and a video
http://www.telemadrid.es/actualidad/noticia.pag?codigo=223771&titular=la_policia_detiene_en_un_garaje_en_el_barrio_de_las_tablas_a_tres_ladrones_cuando_trataban_de_robar

No comments:

Post a Comment