Saturday, October 24, 2009

Interview

We had our interview with the Civil Registry in Pablo's town of Mieres. It was an interview to make sure we were a real couple and not just getting married so I could stay in the country. Now if they asked any interesting questions like why the heck would I want to leave America and live in Spain? They would have found out I wasn't moving here for all the job opportunities, the lazy spanish mentality, total disregard for most laws and speaking spanish until I can't even speak english because my head is so confused. They would have seen that we are two crazy people who over the last 8 years, for some reason, kept flying to the other side of the world to see each other, spent hours on the internet, waking up at 5am to catch each other on messenger and spending 20 dollars a week to buy stupid phone cards! Now if this doesn't say real couple I don't know what does.
But they didn't ask any real interesting, dramatic questions, this is how it really went.
Our appointment was at 1:15 (after they closed, yes that is right, they only work from 9am-1pm). I think I was more nervous that they were interviewing me, alone, in spanish than answering the questions so we stopped for a quick class of wine to calm my nerves. We arrived at the office and I was the first one to go in. Mieres is a small town and lucky me because I can't imagine how it would have gone in Madrid. The lady who gave the interview was the same person who took all our paperwork and she was really nice and spoke slowly. So it was easy to understand her and once we started I did pretty good answering back in Spanish.

Here were the questions:
1) My name, where I was born, parents names
2) Pablo's name, where he was born, parents names
3) Do we have kids, any kids from previous relationships
4) How and where we met
5) When we became a couple
6) Every time we have gone to visit each other- Year, Month and for how many days
7) Hobbies, mine and his
8) Favorite foods, mine and his
9) Last gift I bought for him and last gift I received from him
10) any big medical conditions

Pablo went in after me and was asked the same questions. We didn't give exactly the same answers but close enough. Remembering all those dates gets confusing at 8 years.
Now we wait, hopefully no more than a month, for it to be processed and approved. Once that is complete we are free to marry!

No comments:

Post a Comment