Saturday, May 18, 2013

San Isidro Play Date

The 15th of May is San Isidro a holiday only in Madrid. People dress up in traditional dresses and suits called Chulapas (girls) and Chulapos (boys). (I call them Chalupas) Yo quiero Taco Bell!!
I'm not really sure what they celebrate but there is a big festival with traditional foods, concerts, rides and games.
We celebrated the day by going to an English play group for the first time. It is at a church and there are a lot of toys for the kids to play with and we just let them loose for two hours. Gabriela was one of the youngest so I got a glimpse into our future; kids crawling all over, kids fighting over toys, others learning to walk, it was a bit overwhelming.
The the last half hour everyone gathers to sing songs. It was fun and I'm sure when Gabriela is a little older she will really love this part. Everyone loves some Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes or The Wheels on the Bus!
I met some moms and had conversations in english and didn't feel like a social freak so that was great. The playgroup meets every Wednesday and apparently there is a music class on Fridays. It is a little far and we have to go on the subway but I want to go back. Gabriela had fun playing with the new toys but I think she was a over stimulated because she barely slept the rest of the day.
In her traditional Chulapa dress
Playing with her new friend dressed in his Chulapo

No comments:

Post a Comment