Monday, September 26, 2011

Carol and Alberto's Wedding

We had the great pleasure to attend the wedding of our friends Alberto and Carol. Since we met them last fall we have heard all about the planning and wedding this and wedding that so we knew that it was going to be an event. The ceremony was at a beautiful cathedral in the center of Madrid called San Jeronimo, right next to the Prado Museum. It had just been completely restored and was very beautiful. I felt totally Spanish walking to the church in our fancy clothes surround by tourists.
The ceremony was very catholic and very long. I think the priest did way too much talking and even asked for money which I didn't think was appropriate but this is only my second cathedral wedding in Spain so not sure if this is normal! But the bride was beautiful and the groom very handsome. Carol is my height and she looked great in her dress. Being my second catholic wedding in Spain I have noticed that neither time did the priests say they can kiss or that they are man and wife. I think that is strange. Why go through an hour long ceremony if you can't kiss your new husband after! hehe
The bride and her dad (he's real short!)
during the ceremony
The newlyweds
There is the kiss (outside!)
When the ceremony was over we walked out and threw rice and took pictures. There were tons of tourists watching and taking pictures and one girl who was so excited she was stalking Carol as she was greeting all her guests and having her mom take pictures. I guess that is what happens if you get married in the tourist area!
Next, we boarded buses and headed to the reception. It was probably 30 minutes outside of the city. It was a very pretty location and we started in on the h'ourderves and drinks. They had caipirinhas and mojitos along with the wine and beer. The h'ourderves were great- high quality ham, foie, brie, asparagus, croquets, chicken terriyaki all very fancy but very good.
Me and Alicia- she is mad I wore high heels! Her's are 5 inches at least!
The boys
the girls
Caipirinhas
Then we headed into the dinning room for a great dinner. We looked at the menu and Pablo freaked out because there wasn't very much food because in Asturias if you don't have quantity the people get very upset. But here the food was quality over quantity and we were pleasantly surprised at how good everything was. 
First Course: Salmon salad- yes that is raw and thick!
Second course: Mango custard with ham and foie
Third course: Duck confit, potato with mandrin sauce. This was AMAZING!
Yogurt with rasberry sauce for the ladies
Cheesecake for the gentelman
Liquors- Pacharan with the boys
After dinner we hit up the dancefloor and showed the Spanish how we like to party!



Us and the happy couple
Me in the subway at 6:30 am

We arrived home at 7am!

4 comments:

  1. i love the photo of you in the subway... i remember a night like that in spain but there is no photographic evidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've had my share of nights waiting for the subway! You can always find something amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, you posted all these fun pictures of food and having fun...can we come over and play?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my thing--- food pictures b/c I think its the most exciting part!!!

    ReplyDelete