Thursday, September 8, 2011

Bachelorette Party Spanish Style

This last weekend I experienced my first bachelorette party in Spain. It was for my friend Carol, who plays on my basketball team. She is getting married at the end of September and it was so nice of her to invite me to the bachelorette party. I still feel like the girls here don't really know me yet because I'm still really shy but they are so kind to the foreigner and keep inviting me to everything!
We spent the weekend in a pueblo called Valdepeñas. It is famous for wine and happened to be their big festival so there were a lot of events going on.  Friday and Saturday they had bands playing in the plaza- mostly cover bands so that made it fun because then I knew some of the songs.
We rented a house and went out on the town Friday and Saturday and had funny activities for the bride to do. For bachelor and bachelorette parties in Spain it is typical to dress the bride and groom in crazy costumes and then the friends go with the theme and have some sort of costume as well. Usually you can do some pretty embarassing costomes but I think the ones we did were pretty funny and everything is a surprise to the bride.
Friday night the costume was Michael Jackson. Carol has naturally curly black hair and once we put the Michael Jackson costume on it was perfect because she looked just like him. We followed the theme by wearing all black and we got hats and sparkly gloves.
Michael Jackson and the bodyguards
De tapas y vinos (wine and tapas)
On Saturday the big activity was called Valdepeñas Express. There is a show in Spain called Pekin Express which is like The Amazing Race but they only stay in China. So we dressed her up in the typical hippy/backpacker and drove out one of the country roads about 3 km from the town and told her she had to hitchhike back to the town. Sounds a little dangerous right? Well we had safety measures in place. There was always one girl with her video taping. There was a car waiting by her and a car waiting for her at the next stop. I was afraid no one would pick her up but apparently in small towns it is common and she made it all the way back to town.
Valdepeñas Express (hitchhiking)
For Saturday night her friends surprised her with a Snow White costume because Carol is my height- really tall for Spain so she has always been the tallest everywhere she goes. So we dressed up as the 7 dwarfs because her friends are always shorter than her..... except I kind of ruined it but you get the idea! I was Mudito, which means mute (fitting!) aka Dopey in the english version.
Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs
It was a fun weekend and I met some really nice girls.  Can't wait for the wedding because I'm sure it will be over the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment