Saturday, April 17, 2010

Wedding Update

So, as of today, there is 1 month and 5 days until the Big Day! I'm a little stressed about getting everything ready in time and can't believe there is only a month left. With finishing the last wedding details to organizing the family flying in and making sure they have a fun european vacation, there is a lot to do still!
I made a final list of things to do and its only one and a half pages long! I look at that as a good thing, Pablo sees it as 'there is that much to do still?'
We made a trip to Asturias the first week I was here and will make another trip this week and then again in two weeks. So basically we'll be up there ever other week until the wedding! I hope we can get it all done.
It has been a struggle trying to fit in my "American ideas" into the Spanish traditions my new family feel so strongly about. This has been a little tough for me to handle but I also have to remember there are two people getting married and they are from two different cultures so I need to be more flexible. I just wish they were a little more open minded to my ideas too. Even a jeweler told me the style of ring I want isn't a wedding ring and I should get the normal 'wedding rings'! AHHH!
Also, I'm a little stressed about my family arriving in time for the wedding. Now that a volcano has erupted and closed almost all the airspace in Europe I can't imagine what other natural disaster can happen between now and then. Also the possible British Airways strike that is still looming. I'm not sure if I can handle the extra stress!
The latest roadblock we have run into (note to everyone: don't get married in a foreign country they will make it is as difficult as possible for you)
we can't open a wedding registry at the department store in Spain. Why you might ask? Well I don't have a social security number that apparently they need to make a list. Why they need so much personal information for a list? Not sure! I can't possibly be the first foreigner to marry a spanish person and if you are a foreigner you don't have a social security number until you are married. Registry if for before the wedding. Social Security number comes after the wedding. See the problem here? I don't really get it. There aren't any department stores in Spain either so not sure what we'll do yet. But one of the things we thought would be the easiest turns out to be another extra stress. Sometimes that is how everything has felt for the last 8 years!
But we will go on and we will get married and we'll have a great fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment