So I was planning on getting this post up before Christmas but obviously that didn't happen but I thought I'd post anyway for my own memories!
Now that I'm a mom I have been fondly remembering things I did as a child and now I want to pass these experiences and traditions on to Gabriela. One of these traditions is Christmas. Our house was always very well decorated and it made the holiday season so much fun. Now that I have a home of my own I want to recreate my favorite holiday decorations.
I put together a list of the must have Freimuth Christmas decorations according to me. It has been a little tricky getting everything I want since we are here in Spain but I think it came together pretty well!
1. Christmas Tree- Growing up we always had big beautiful fir trees in the house and it smelled great. Getting this type of tree here in Spain is a little difficult. You can buy real trees but they are still in pots and kind of look like Charlie Brown Christmas trees. Being from the Pacific Northwest and surround by beautiful evergreen trees, these little babies don't cut it. So this year with the baby I decided I need to buy a big and beautiful fake tree. I found the perfect one and even though expensive I'm hoping this baby last years to come.
2. Meaningful ornaments- A few years ago when Pablo and I started to travel I kept the tradition alive of buying Christmas ornaments from places we visited. Then every year when we decorate the tree we pull them out and remember those special trips.
3. Colored lights- My mom always put colored lights on the tree and she was always very particular about it. No one could do the lights but her. So I have carried on the tradition with my colored lights. I ran into a slight snag with the bigger tree as I don't have enough lights and when I went to buy more I realized they only make the led colored lights now and not the older version so I might need to change over.
4. Stockings- even though we don't have a fireplace we still have stockings. I got Pablo's family into the stockings a few years ago and slowly but surely they are figuring out how stockings work. I enlisted my mom to make Gabriela's stocking since my grandma made my and I figured it was a good grandma tradition!
5. Garland- In our house growing up we always had garland and lights on the banister of the stairs. I always loved waking up in the morning and being the first to turn on the lights on the stairs and the Christmas tree. Even if my mom woke up before me she let me always turn on the lights. We currently live in a house with stairs so I bought garland and lights and it feel like home!
6. Christmas tree smell- this smell is the best but with the fake tree you really miss out. But never fear I had my dad bring me fir tree spray and a fir tree candle. They smell amazing and make the house feel very Christmas-y!
Pablo has added his traditions to our traditions as well this year by creating our first Belen or Nativity Scene. Yes, I know, we are not religious but its tradition and it looks pretty fun. It is like my christmas village but in Jesus time. Each year we will buy new pieces to add to our town such as houses, farm animals, people ect. We are building our own little village. Belen's are very popular here and there are some really big ones that are very cool. So in the years to come hopefully we will create one good looking village!
Monday, January 7, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment