Friday, April 15, 2011

New Jobs

For a long time Pablo has been unhappy with his job more specifically, the person he guarded. He would complain about her endlessly and has been talking for awhile about changing. He wanted to stay at the same courthouse and doing the same job but with a different person. For months we thought a change would be coming and never did. BUT finally we found out three weeks ago that his request to change was granted and he now guards a new and friendly person. He has 3 new partners whom are all very friendly and works a different schedule than before, no more 1 week on, 1 week off. His days are much, much shorter now since this person doesn't have the same type of social life as the other one. I think the latest Pablo has arrived home during the first two weeks on the job is 8:30 pm. So far no 1 am or later arrivals, which is very nice. Also, in the new apartment we have the subway stop right in front so Pablo commute is way shorter, no more bus and subway, it is subway all the way in, very convenient.

I also have a new job. Back in November I got an email from one of my old co-workers in Seattle about helping them out with editing projects. One of my old co-workers started his own video production company in Seattle and another old co-worker was working with him and they needed some extra help editing. Apparently me being in Spain and them in Seattle wasn't a big deal. I was little shocked to hear from them but flattered at the same time since they remembered me and wanted to work with me again. I wasn't sure I had all the tools to complete the project here but luckily a few years ago I purchased the edit program needed to edit incase one day I would be freelance in Spain. But in the end I end up doing freelance in Spain for Seattle. HA! All they have to do now is mail me a hard drive with raw video media on it and I edit from home on my computer.
After helping out on a couple projects and figuring out a process for around the world editing, they asked me if I wanted to be part of their team as an editor. I am not really sure what this means exactly because I basically work freelance, they use me when they don't have capacity to do it in Seattle, so it isn't consistent but it is something. They even put me on their website so now it looks like I have a job!!! When I did the first editing project for them, even though it was so basic, I really realized how much I missed editing and post-production. It has been great for me to feel like I have something productive to do and to do something I enjoy. I'm still rusty being out of the industry for 2 years and in video that is a lifetime with technology changing so quickly, but so far it has been a positive experience. I completed two projects in March and hopefully more will come my way in the near future.
Here is the website and my bio if you want to check it out. NOTE: my pictures are ALWAYS HORRIBLE so don't look at them!
http://spincreativegroup.com/
I'm also still teaching English and that is going well. I currently have 11 students; 4 children, and 7 adults. It is a little different now living in the new apartment because now I have to commute to work. I take the subway back to Las Tablas everyday now. Luckily it is close and only takes 15 minutes from our house to arrive in Las Tablas. It was one of the sacrifices I made moving to the new place but so far it hasn't been too bad.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the freelance job!! :) Super cool! I checked out the website too and I really like your profile. Looks so official! yay Kelly!
    I'm glad Pabs got to change people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pictures are HORRIBLE! same for the last job I was at.... I can't do photo shoots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are crazy! They are adorable! I promise!

    ReplyDelete